Home Based Businesses in Singapore
Home based businesses are accepted in Singapore. This scheme is intended to for small scale businesses like baking, allowing home owners to earn extra income at home.
Home Based Businesses can operate, as long as they meet the following criteria:
- The business is wholly owned and operated by the home owner. No person outside the household is to be employed.
- No advertisement or signboards related to the home based business are to be displayed outside the home.
- No extraneous traffic is introduced to the site.
- The business should not create excessive disturbance or nuisances or danger to the surrounding residents.
- No loading and unloading of goods by vans and trucks.
- The activities must comply with the rules and regulations of other authorities.
Examples of Home Based Businesses are:
- Baking on a small scale
- Hairdressing and beauty-related services, excluding massage services
- Private tuition for not more than 3 students
- Sewing services
- Freelance work
Do home based businesses need to apply, register or incorporate a company with ACRA (The Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority of Singapore)?
Home based businesses are allowed to operate without registering with ACRA only if:
- You choose to conduct business using your full name as reflected in your NRIC.
- You choose to conduct the business with one or more partners using their full names as reflected in their NRICs.
For example, you can run a home based business without registering if you operate your business as: “John Tan”. If you would like to operate under “John’s Sewing Service”, you will have to register your business with ACRA.
If I need to register my home based business with ACRA, can I use my home address as the registered business address?
For residents living in HDB flats, it is not allowed for businesses to use the address as the registered business address as the use of the flat is supposed to be mainly for residential purposes and not for business use. Prior approval is necessary before you use the address as your registered business address (subjected to approval by HDB). For more information, you can visit: HDB website.
For residents living in private property, you can use your address as the registered business address, but prior notice and approval is required by URA (the Urban Redevelopment Authority). For more information, you can visit: URA Website.
What can I do if I need a registered business address?
Home Based Business owners who require a registered business address may do so by engaging the use of a registered business address service.
You can use the registered business address service as your registered address for your company/business on ACRA.
The address must be:
- Official address of the company
- Approved for commercial use and is not a PO Box
- All communications, letters and legal documents once proved delivered to this address are deemed to be delivered
- Open to the public for at least 3 working hours during a work day
Lionsworld Registered Address service offers a flexible and budget-friendly alternative to owning a dedicated office space. Leverage on our business address while working from overseas or from home, at a considerably more affordable price. Build your business from anywhere around the world, while we keep you posted with your latest mail arrivals.
- Prestigious registered address in Singapore’s Central Business District – near City Hall MRT
- 24/7 usage of our exclusive Co-sharing space and Business Clubhouse, a flexible office solution for your business needs
- Daily lunch and dessert are available at our Clubhouse. Check out the most current menu here
- Get your own Company Mailbox with Mail Handling Service – All correspondence for you and your company will be handled by our professional staff
- Dedicated local Landline number with Automatic Call Forwarding
- Professional Receptionists and Call Answering Services
- Host discussions at our meeting & conference rooms and 24/7 clubhouse facilities
- Complimentary Lionsworld Card to enjoy pay-per-use access to business centres and retail merchants in Singapore and abroad
- Upgrade to Lionsworld Connect to receive virtual office services in both Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Singapore
Ready to Incorporate in Singapore? View our Incorporation package here or book a consultation with us
Have more questions regarding company incorporation in Singapore? View more FAQs or Send us an enquiry below!